How to Assess a Graduate School
怎样评价选择研讨生院校
Good morning, everyone.
各人早上好。
I guess some of you may have already started thinking about further study overseas after graduation.
我猜你们中的一些人能够曾经开端思索结业后出国进修了。
But few people would thoroughly consider all of the aspects of a graduate school before application.
但是,很少有人会在请求研讨生之前细心思索研讨生院校的方方面面。
The criteria I am going to talk about today can help spur your thinking about choosing a proper school.
我明天要谈的规范可以协助你考虑怎样选择一所适宜的学校。
Of course, the most important criteria will depend upon your specific needs.
固然,最紧张的规范将视你的详细需求而决议。
But, there are also several general criteria to follow.
但是,也有几个广泛的规范需求遵照。
First guideline is reputation.
第一条原则是名誉。
Is the graduate school considered one of the best graduate schools in the country?
这所研讨生院校被以为是天下最好的研讨生院校之一吗?
Is it highly regarded in your chosen specialty?
这所学校的你选择的专业遭到的评价高吗?
In most cases, people would like to observe the various school rankings, but my suggestion is that the school rankings should not be considered definitely.
在大少数状况下,人们都喜好留意种种学校排名,但我的发起是,不该该完全参照学校排名。
Rankings are useful as a very rough guide to the reputation and quality of different programs.
排名是有效的,可以十分大略地反应差别课程的名誉和质量。
Most people take them, um, far too seriously when considering where to apply.
大少数人在思索请求哪所学校的时分过于仔细。
But you will have to bear in mind that the schools differ a lot in their programs, goals and atmospheres.
但你必需记着,各学校在课程、目的和气氛上有很大区别。
Even with almost the same ranking, one school will offer more related courses than another one.
即便排名简直相反,一所学校也能够比另一所学校提供更多的相干课程。
The second. The second criterion lies in location of the school.
第二。第二个原则便是学校的地位。
OK. Why do we need to consider location of the school?
好的。为什么我们需求思索学校的地位?
Let me give you some reasons.
我来给你一些来由。
Which part of the country you would prefer to be in for three years determines the cost of your study.
你更喜好在这个国度的哪个中央待三年,这决议了你的学习用度。
Living in a big city is exciting with a lot of varieties, but it should also be expensive.
生存在大都会令人高兴,有林林总总的事物,但它的用度也很昂扬。
A medium-sized city located in a scenic spot can be charming but not exciting.
位于景色胜景区的中等都会能够很诱人,但并不令人高兴。
So do not ignore the fact that you are about to spend two or three years of your life in the graduate school you choose.
因而,不要疏忽如许一个现实:你生掷中的两三年工夫都将在你选择的这所研讨生院校中渡过。
Try to spend it somewhere you will appreciate.
只管即便在你喜好的中央渡过这几年。
And the location of a school helps determine its social environment.
学校的地位决议了它的社会情况。
Schools in large cities tend not to foster the degree of social bonding among classmates that schools in small towns do, largely due to the lack of other entertainment options in the latter.
大都会的学校每每不会像小城镇的学校那样培育同窗之间的交际干系,这在很大水平上是由于小城镇的学校缺乏其他文娱选择。
The third thing to consider is safety.
第三件要思索的事变是平安。
Related to a location issue is the question of safety.
与地位题目相干的是平安题目。
Be sure that the school environment is and feels safe. In assessing safety, make sure you see the school and its environment where students spend their time and do not assume, uh, that would appear safe at noon will also be safe at midnight.
确保学校情况是平安的,而且让人觉得平安。在评价平安的时分,确保你看到了先生们生存学习的学校和情况,不要去假定,半夜看起来平安的中央,半夜也是平安的。
Discuss the matter with school officials and also discuss your concerns with students who are already studying there, most like you.
与校方职员讨论这件事,并与曾经在那边学习的先生(他们和你最类似)聊聊你的担心。
Now the next factor to consider is school facilities and housing.
如今要思索的下一个要素是学校设备和住房。
Check to be sure that the library and computer facilities are top-notch.
反省一下,确保图书馆和盘算机设置装备摆设都是一流的。
In particular, note whether they are comfortable for long-hour work efforts.
尤其要留意,永劫间运用这些设备能否是舒服的。
Housing can be a major concern, especially in your first year.
住房能够是一个次要的题目,特殊是在你的退学的第一年。
Look at the school dorms and apartments, but also examine the price and availability of off-campus housing.
看看学校的宿舍和公寓,但也要查一查能否能在校外寓居,以及它的价钱。
Note what transportation options you will have and also their safety implications.
留意一下你能选择的交通方法,以及它们对平安能够形成什么影响。
Finally, mission is a major factor as well.
最初,任务也是一个紧张要素。
Schools vary in the extent to which they wish to educate their graduate students.
各学校培育研讨生的愿景各不相反。
There might be differences between programs that require students to be generalists and those that train specialists.
要修业天生为多面手的项目和培育专家的项目之间能够存在差别。
These differences can have a major effect upon your fit with the program and the students who have chosen to attend it.
这些差别会对你能否合适这个项目以及选择参与的先生发生严重影响。
Okay. Today we have discussed some general principles on how to choose a graduate school.
好了。明天我们讨论了一些关于怎样选择研讨生院校的广泛准绳。
I hope the information will be useful to you when you apply for graduate schools.
我盼望这些信息能对你请求研讨生院校有协助。