Today we are having Harriet Sanford on our program to hear about her career in education and her current work supporting public teachers and students through the NEA foundation.
明天,我们约请了哈丽特·桑福德来做客我们的节目,听她报告她的教诲生活以及她现在经过NEA基金会支持公立学校教员和先生所做的任务。
Good morning, Harriet. Nice to have you here!
早上好,哈丽特。很快乐你能来参与我们的节目!
Good morning, James.
早上好,詹姆斯。
Harriet, why did you go into education?
哈丽特,你为什么要从事教诲行业?
I began my career about 40 years ago as a public-school teacher at an elementary school.
约莫40年前,我在一所公立小学当教员,从而开端了我的职业生活。
Although I did not remain in the classroom for many years, my commitment to improving lives and underserved communities for the better never faltered.
固然我曾经许多年没有教过学了,但我想要使落伍社区的生存有所改进的决计从未坚定过。
It has been a privilege to work in education philanthropy for the last 12 years.
在过来的12年里,我很荣幸能从事教诲慈悲奇迹。
Why have you been involved in education philanthropy, that is, supporting teachers and students through a foundation?
你为什么会投身于教诲慈悲奇迹,即经过基金会支持教师和先生呢?
Well, to answer your question, I have to start with my parents.
要答复你的题目,我得先从我怙恃提及。
Neither my mother nor father completed their education, but they were adamant that their children take advantage of all of opportunities that a public education offers both in and out of school time.
我的怙恃都没有完成学业,但他们却对峙要让孩子充沛应用校表里大众教诲提供的时机。
My parents fully expected their children to pursue higher education and ensured that we could immerse ourselves in our studies, service, sports, and more.
我的怙恃希冀他们的孩子可以承受初等教诲,并确保我们可以满身心肠投入到学习、效劳、体育等中去。
Now many communities, schools and families are facing insufficient resources, just like what we faced those days.
现在,很多社区、学校和家庭都面对着资源缺乏的题目,就像我们当年所面对的题目一样。
My work and the foundation's work is to do all we can to ensure that every student has access to a quality education and finds his or her own joy in learning.
我和基金会的任务便是尽我们所能确保每个先生都无机会承受优质教诲,并在学习中找到本人的兴趣。
Um, I see. Now, Harriet, can you tell us what the NEA foundation is and what support it gives teachers?
嗯,我明确了。哈丽特,你能通知我们NEA基金会是什么以及它为教员提供了哪些支持吗?
OK. The NEA foundation is an independent public charity.
好的。NEA基金会是一个独立的大众慈悲机构。
It was created in 1969 by educators for educators, to improve public education for all students.
它是由教诲任务者于1969年为教诲任务者所创立的,目标是改进面向一切先生的大众教诲。
We distribute grants to educators three times each year to fund their creative and innovative classroom projects.
我们每年向教诲任务者发放三次补贴金,为他们富有发明性和创新性的讲堂项目提供资金。
Last year, all grants empowered more than 6,000 educators, reaching more than 186,000 students.
客岁,一切补贴金使得6000多名教诲任务者受害,惠及超越18.6万论理学生。
That's wonderful.
那真是太棒了。
We also have annual awards for teaching excellence, honoring the challenging but crucial work that public school educators do every day.
我们还设立了年度良好讲授奖,以惩处公立学校教诲任务者每天所做的具有应战性但至关紧张的任务。
Your work is really appreciated.
十分感激你的任务。
In addition, we have a global learning fellowship.
别的,我们还设有环球学习奖学金。
Educators can go abroad as part of a year-long professional development program.
作为为期一年的职业开展方案的一局部,教诲任务者可以出国。
Participating educators return from their travels with fresh knowledge, skills and perspective needed to teach in the global age.
参与项目标教诲任务者从外洋返来,带回了在环球化期间讲授所需的新知识、技艺和观念。
And they are better equipped to deliver globally focused curriculum in their home schools and communities.
他们也更有才能在本人的学校和社区提供面向环球的课程。
I have heard that you have a partner called EverFi.
我听说你有一个协作同伴叫EverFi。
How do EverFi and the NEA foundation work together?
EverFi和NEA基金会是怎样协作的?
Yeah, the NEA foundation and EverFi work together to increase educator and student access to technology and digital learning tools.
是的,NEA基金会经过和EverFi协作,添加教员和先生运用科技和数字东西的时机。
We collectively strive to support critical skill areas that will enhance students' ultimate academic and life success.
我们通力合作为要害技艺范畴提供支持,以促进先生终极的学业和生存乐成。
Could you give us some details about your work?
你能细致引见一下你的任务吗?
Yeah. Okay. The partnership currently supports NEA school districts across the country, providing free access to EverFi's digital resources and accompanying professional development.
好的。该协作同伴干系现在支持天下各地的NEA学区,收费提供EverFi数字资源和相应的职业开展。
A number of school districts have participated.
很多学区都参与了这个项目。
Our partnership is leading us to work on more programming to develop initiatives in social and emotional learning.
我们的协作同伴干系使得我们投入更多精神来展开有关交际和情绪学习方面的方案。
What encouragement would you give teachers who are working to integrate critical skills education into their classrooms?
你会给那些努力于将要害技艺教诲融入讲堂的教员什么鼓舞?
My key piece of advice to educators, no matter what or whom they teach, is almost always the same.
我给教诲任务者的紧张发起都是一样的,无论他们教什么或教谁。
Excellence is what you are after.
要寻求杰出。
And you are not going to let anything, or anyone stand between your students and excellence.
你不克不及让任何事变或任何人障碍你的先生寻求杰出。
Be gentle, kind and caring with your students, but be fierce about their education.
对你的先生要温顺、和睦和关爱,但对他们的教诲要严峻。
Okay, thank you very much, Harriet, for talking to us about your work.
好的,十分感激你和我们议论你的任务,哈丽特。
Pleasure!
不客气!
This is the end of the first interview.
第一个访谈到此完毕。
Questions 1 to 5 are based on what you have just heard.
依据方才听到的内容,答复1至5题。
Question 1: Why does the woman go into education?
题目1:密斯为什么要从事教诲行业?
Question 2: What is her parents' attitude towards their children's education?
题目2:密斯的怙恃对孩子的教诲题目持什么态度?
Question 3: What does the NEA foundation do to improve public education?
题目3:NEA基金会在改进大众教诲方面做了什么?
Question 4: What do both EverFi and the NEA foundation plan to do in the future?
题目4:EverFi和NEA基金会将来都方案做什么?
Question 5: According to the woman, what quality should be pursued by a teacher?
题目5:依据密斯的说法,教员应该寻求什么本质?